cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Junk Mail

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

Junk Mail

Since mid-summer, I have received an unsustainable number of junk mail messages that I believe are phishing emails.  I maybe get a dozen with the same subject line, but all from different senders so I can't block them.  Some of the domain names (but only that part of the sender address) are reused... but often for completely different products.  It is so overwhelming.  Hoping Scootermobile might be willing to look at this since he was so quick to be helpful with my last issue.  I created a couple folders in my account with examples, and I can stop deleting for a couple days if you want... but it will quickly reach hundreds.  I suspect there are a lot of users out there with this problem, but they don't know what to do about it. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: Junk Mail

The best you can do is to report those messages as spam. Depending on the number of similar reports, our AntiSpam filter may take some time to react and start actively blocking them from reaching you. In the meanwhile, you can either create filters or block those email addresses

Answers your question? Accept as Solution!
Spanish speaker? ¡Conviértete en un usuario Superstar participando en la #ComunidadYahoo!
Síguenos en Twitter: @YahooMailAyuda

Official 'Hoo Staff

@shorttimer

There's no down arrow in the New Mail interface. You should simply select the spam email and click Spam.

More details here:

Manage spam and mailing lists in New Mail

Spanish speaker? ¡Conviértete en un usuario Superstar participando en la #ComunidadYahoo!

5 REPLIES
Official 'Hoo Staff

The best you can do is to report those messages as spam. Depending on the number of similar reports, our AntiSpam filter may take some time to react and start actively blocking them from reaching you. In the meanwhile, you can either create filters or block those email addresses

Pro 'Hoo

Thanks for the recommendation.  I do not see a down arrow next to SPAM.  These messages are already in the Junk folder, but I do not see a down arrow next to SPAM when I am on a message in my INBOX either.  Do I need to switch back to Classic Mail in order to have these options?

Unfortunately your suggestion to create filters or block senders cannot work with the changing email addresses that these Phishers are using.

I welcome and appreciate further suggestions.  Thanks.  

Official 'Hoo Staff

@shorttimer

There's no down arrow in the New Mail interface. You should simply select the spam email and click Spam.

More details here:

Manage spam and mailing lists in New Mail

Pro 'Hoo

It is already in SPAM.  I thought you wanted me to flag it as PHISHING specifically so that your algorithms could learn to block it.  If the algorithms can only send it to SPAM, it has already learned that.

Most or all of these messages are trying to get the user to click on "report spam" at the top of the email instead of in the mail interface.  This is someone (or several) causing major headaches for your customers... if you have no process to look deeper or for the systems to learn how to handle it, we will be forced to abandon these accounts that require us to screen hundreds of emails per day for the ones that might have been sent there accidentally.

Pro 'Hoo

If you want to see examples.. if you have the ability to look at my folders... I have 21 messages in the last <48 hours titled "Choice Home Warranty" in the folder "Examples of Phishing 0 Best"... they were sent to Junk... but the flood continues... and with unique sender addresses.  Is there someone you can make aware of this abuse?