cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Blocking Spam

SOLVED

Re: Blocking Spam

I have spam and trash filters and spam and trash gets sent to their respective locations, I am now adding all to blocking address, most of my spam count incoming is now < 10, even with this address blocked **Username Protected**@catlgdinosaur.com ,this slime is now getting through,. Why are yahoo blocked address (spam) getting through even if it is blocked,. Is servers getting hacked into again. I do have Gmail, do I have to leave yahoo to get rid of this problem, this does not happen on Gmail. If you block address with copy and paste, address is inputed exactly same, taking out the @ symbol causes address to be invalid to be blocked, so my other question is that, does yahoo get paid by spammers to allow for their slimy spam to get throug??? is yahoo security corrupted (hacked into), does yahoo even care to fix this problem, seems it has been going for a long time and getting worse, lastly do I need to leave yahoo to rid this problem

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @spamFiltersSUCK

You should check out this article showing how the Yahoo Spam filters work.  As you can see if the emails are going to your Spam folder the Yahoo filters are working.  You can also see that the Yahoo Spam filters bypass any filters or blocks you have set up.

It's entirely your decision if you wish to close your Yahoo account over this issue. 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.

As I had stated my spam & trash filters work properly, it's the address blocking that has issues, as an example this address, which is a real spam sender address  "**Username Protected**@catlgdinosaur.com " has already been blocked and worked for onte week now, and somehow this week spam is coming from address again, "there are no type O's when copying and pasting addresses", so if my blocked addresses count do not go up by one, then it's the same address, which tells 
me hat it could be the address blocking subroutine is compromised  or server is still being actively hacked and yahoo didn't fix their data breach yet. if the "admin@" is removed to try to do a domain block yahoo sees this as an invalid address so domain blocking is not allowed here 
Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @spamFiltersSUCK

Are these emails that are getting through going into your Spam folder or your Inbox? 

Received email from a blocked address - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN5865.html?impressions=true

If you are using New Mail you can find domain blcoking problematic to set up properly.  You can see if you can switch to Yahoo Classic and set up the domain blocking there.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Official 'Hoo Staff

@slpurser01

You can just mark them as Not Spam when in your Spam folder.

@spamFiltersSUCK

Spam filters take precedence over any other filter or setting on the account. This means that if an email is deemed to be Spam, it will go there first without being affected by any other filter, blocked address, etc. It's virtually impossible to block all spam addresses and creates a false sense of control when doing so. If junk emails are going to the Spam folder, then all is well. If not, then mark them as Spam.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare

Thank you for your response, but it doesn't answer my original question, when an address is blocked, how come I still get spam from the blocked address containing different content. I copy and paste addresses so there is no typing error, also the blocked address count does not go up by one and no message telling me that it is an invalid address so I know that it is the same address??? Thank you yahoo help community

I used to delete around 70 spam and 70 trash mails every day, today I am down to less than 10 spam and 10 trash, thanks to address blocking. My address blocking count is 105 addresses so far, and just added five more today and prefer not to let spam get into spam folder at all, if I block them immediately as I get them, I minimize my having to look through my spam mail because some companies I do allow their mail to get through but they send it everyday and I don't need to read it everyday. Thank You all at the yahoo help community

Official 'Hoo Staff

@spamFiltersSUCK

Spam filters take precedence over any other filter or setting on the account. This means that if an email is deemed to be Spam, it will go there first without being affected by any other filter, blocked address, etc.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare

Thank You Scootermobile for enlightening me on spam filter priority, I would not have asked my question four times

four different ways, if they explained it the way you did,

Thank You again