cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Not running any Goalies?

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

Not running any Goalies?

So I'm in H2H shallow points league where goalies earn way less than skaters. There's a min goalie start per week of 3, and from what I know, all goalie points are deducted if you don't meet those starts. But if I had 0 goalies play that week, there wouldn't be any points to deduct, right? Therefore allowing me to run more skaters and not be penalised? If anyone can clarify that'd be awesome
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Sports Pro All-star

Re: Not running any Goalies?

@Davidjflewis

Ok, you need to look at it this way.

You only have so many active roster spots in your league.  Benching Gs does not give you more skaters.  Skaters are a fixed number based on the tota of Cs, FWs, Ds and UTILs allowed on your starting roster.

Not carrying Gs or Benching your Gs does not give you extra scoring slots on offense.

Sports All-star

Yes, of course you could do that. You are not penalized extra for not starting goalies, you just would receive 0 points for goalies, but if you start no goalies, then you would still get the 0 points anyway.

That said, usually points leagues have goalies weighted so that it is much more worth it to play the goalies than to try for some extra points from random skater starts that might fit your lineup.

8 REPLIES
Official 'Hoo Staff

The Minimum Goalie Appearance requirement applies to the combined appearances of goalies in active positions on your roster.

About Minimum Goalie Appearances

Goalies are credited with an appearance if they officially touch the ice. If you don’t meet the set goalie minimum requirement you won’t win any stat categories or get any points for their performance. A Goaltender Appearance box is located at the bottom of your team page to help you out with tracking.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
'Hoo Recruit

So if I don't run any G's, therefore not earning any points from them, I won't then also get penalised 'extra' for not meeting the min requirement?
Highlighted
Sports Pro All-star

@Davidjflewis

If you do not meet the minimum then you automatically lose all goalie categories
'Hoo Recruit

Points league, mate. I know it wouldn't be a good strategy in ROTO cuz of the automatic category losses, but in points leagues the punishment of not reaching the min starts is that you lose any points earned by your G's. But if I don't play any G's, then technically I haven't earned any points for them to be deducted. Theoretically meaning that I could run two skaters instead and not incur any penalty for it. That's what I'm seeking clarification on Smiley Happy
Sports Pro All-star

@Davidjflewis

Ok, you need to look at it this way.

You only have so many active roster spots in your league.  Benching Gs does not give you more skaters.  Skaters are a fixed number based on the tota of Cs, FWs, Ds and UTILs allowed on your starting roster.

Not carrying Gs or Benching your Gs does not give you extra scoring slots on offense.

Sports All-star

Yes, of course you could do that. You are not penalized extra for not starting goalies, you just would receive 0 points for goalies, but if you start no goalies, then you would still get the 0 points anyway.

That said, usually points leagues have goalies weighted so that it is much more worth it to play the goalies than to try for some extra points from random skater starts that might fit your lineup.

'Hoo Recruit

Yeh usually that's true but in my league it's weighted completely differently and G's are way less valuable than skaters (i.e #1 ranked skater has 350 fantasy points, the #1 G has only 190 and is way ahead of the all other goalies who are at around 150)

So although I know I'd have to sit skaters more often because it's not like I get extra positions if I don't play G's, I still think it might be worthwhile considering how valuable skaters are in comparison.
Sports All-star

If you can find skaters to fill in your rosters on slow nights (M,W,F,Sun) that provide more points than G who will play all week, absolutely you do it.  The problem is finding guys with that kind of value who are not already taken AND play on the right nights (not necessarily Knights).  I think you would find yourself streaming guys you (and no one else) would want to own that happen to play on the right night.  I guess you'd have to look at the available pool of FAs and decide whether it is the right play.  You probably end up keeping your best G or 2 and run with a hybrid version of your plan.