cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

an owner wants to lose todays game in order to improve his chances in the playoffs

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

an owner wants to lose todays game in order to improve his chances in the playoffs

Good morning,

I have an owner in 5th place in a 12 team league and he is playing the 6th place team today. The top 6 teams make the playoffs. He is not setting his roster today in order to lose and take the #6 seed for the playoffs because he feels that the #1 seed has a great matchup in the semifinals and would rather play the #3 seed in week 14 and move on to play the #2 seed in week 15 if he advances. There are a couple of owners on the playoff bubble that have a problem with this strategy because they need the 6th place team to lose in order to have a chance of making the playoffs. As a commissioner should I allow him to lose on purpose?

Thanks for reading

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pro 'Hoo

Re: an owner wants to lose todays game in order to improve his chances in the playoffs

The first thing you should ask yourself is does this move being made by this manager being done in an effort for him to help himself and not some other team and clearly this move is to help himself WIN and move forward towards winning a championship.  He has earned this right with his record.  Also was any mention made at the beginning of the season about this kind of move?  Players should have every right to manage their own team without a commissioner cheating and making it more difficult for him in the playoffs.

6 REPLIES
Trusted 'Hoo Helper

Re: an owner wants to lose todays game in order to improve his chances in the playoffs

Should have been addressed early.  But threaten to lock his roster ( empty ) if he doesn't set a roster.  I explain simply anyone who doesn't set a roster, team will be locked and new owner will replace them.  KISS

New 'Hoo

i talked to the owner and he said that todays game has no meaning for him. He is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. He also stated that when an NFL team has the regular season locked up they tend not to play their starters in order to minimize the risk of them getting hurt and not being able to play in the playoff games. He also mentioned that the fantasy football season ends in most leagues week 16 instead week 17 for this reason.

Trusted 'Hoo Helper

Again, either make an example or make a rule for next year. Or...if you are a league that is so inclined, take a Poll.  Majority rule. 

Highlighted
Rookie All-star

@ffrookie

I guess it's too late now, but I don't have a problem with what he did.  He's not breaking any rules and he's just trying to give himself a competitive advantage.  I do think it's bizarro he's turned it into a league discussion.   I did something similar once and just put in the guys I didn't think would do as well.  

(This assumes he's putting in a full lineup.  If not, that's different).

Pro 'Hoo

The first thing you should ask yourself is does this move being made by this manager being done in an effort for him to help himself and not some other team and clearly this move is to help himself WIN and move forward towards winning a championship.  He has earned this right with his record.  Also was any mention made at the beginning of the season about this kind of move?  Players should have every right to manage their own team without a commissioner cheating and making it more difficult for him in the playoffs.

'Hoo Recruit

Based on his play earlier in the season, he earned the right to set up his roster the way he wishes in order to give his team (what he believes is) the best chance to win a championship.  You should not lock any rosters unless your league has a rule in place to that effect.  If you want to make any changes to the league rules, make the changes for next season