cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Sign up to give us feedback through surveys and/or product test sessions to improve the brands you love!

Sports Community Contest 10 (Oct 22, 2018 - Nov 19, 2018)

Yahoo API - No Free Agents Available on Tuesdays?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributin' 'Hoo

Yahoo API - No Free Agents Available on Tuesdays?

In the Yahoo Fantasy Football API, we get no available players when we make requests on Tuesdays even though if we look at the players through the Yahoo website, players are clearly available.

fantasysports . yahooapis . com /fantasy/v2/league/nfl.l.{LEAGUEID}/players;status=FA;sort=AR;start=0;count=25;position=QB;

That same call will work on Wednesdays, but obviously that's less helpful because all waiver claims have been processed already.

Is there another setting that needs to be passed or a different call made to get free agents on Tuesdays?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Sports Pro All-star

Re: Yahoo API - No Free Agents Available on Tuesdays?

@jdyken

What are the waiver settings in your league?

Most settings have the players coming off waivers at midnight Pacific time on Tuesday, meaning there are no FAs on Tuesday.

Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

You are misunderstanding the Tuesday setting.

That means players are on waivers THRU Tuesday.  They come off waivers on midnight Pacific time Tuesday night.

Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

With those settings, there are no free agents on Tuesday.

Trusted 'Hoo Helper

I think this is coming down to a terminology issue.  When you're on the website looking at players, the default view is ALL AVAILABLE PLAYERS.  This includes everyone on waivers + free agents.  With your league settings, everyone is on waivers and is viewable on the website when you just look at players.  HOWEVER, on Tuesdays if you change from ALL AVAILABLE PLAYERS on the website to ALL FREE AGENTS, you should get the same results you've been getting on the API and see no players because everyone is technically still on waivers until midnight PST.

11 REPLIES
Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

Most settings have the players coming off waivers at midnight Pacific time on Tuesday, meaning there are no FAs on Tuesday.

Contributin' 'Hoo

Thank you for the reply!

Could you please clarify though? There are free agents available on the league website. Tuesdays are the day when the league is actively looking for free agents, so it seems counter-productive to say that no free agents are available. As a user, I can go onto Yahoo, find available free agents, and make a waiver claim. Why would the API return nothing when the website returns all available players?

When I call the same URL on Wednesday or any other day of the week, I get all available free agents - just not Tuesday.

Thanks again!

Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

You are misunderstanding the Tuesday setting.

That means players are on waivers THRU Tuesday.  They come off waivers on midnight Pacific time Tuesday night.

Contributin' 'Hoo

@SteveSorry man - I'm not getting it.

If I manually browse to the league in Yahoo on Tuesday, I can see all available free agents.

If I use the API on Tuesday, no available free agents are returned. If I use the exact same call on Wednesday, all available free agents are returned.

Your statement would make more sense if ALL players were considered "on waiver", but that's just not the case. What is the difference between the availability on the website versus availability through the API?

I appreciate your time and insight!

Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

Ok,

Contributin' 'Hoo

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

If I manually browse to a league in Yahoo on Tuesday, I can see all available free agents.

If I use the API on Tuesday, no available free agents are returned. If I use the exact same call on Wednesday, all available free agents are returned.

What is the difference between the availability on the website versus availability through the API?
@Steve

Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

And the answer to my previous question would be?

What are the waiver settings in the league?

Contributin' 'Hoo

Thanks @Steve

Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Weekly Waivers: Game Time - Tuesday

I understand the Game Time - Tuesday waiver wire time frame in that waivers will not be processed - the question is why is the list of available players available through the web interface but the API returns 0 results. Why aren't they consistent? If free agents are visible through the web, shouldn't those same free agents be visible through the API?

Sports Pro All-star

@jdyken

With those settings, there are no free agents on Tuesday.