cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Sign up to give us feedback through surveys and/or product test sessions to improve the brands you love!

Sports Community Contest 10 (Oct 22, 2018 - Nov 19, 2018)

Waiver Wire Questions

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Waiver Wire Questions

I have a few questions for which I haven't been able to find an answer:

1. Our league is setup so that any dropped players are placed on waivers for 2 days. We also have a weekly waiver rule of Sunday - Tuesday. If a player is dropped prior to the start of the weekly waiver period, but the 2-day "drop-waiver" period will expire after the weekly waiver period has begun, does the player remain on waivers until the end of the weekly waiver period? I'm trying to figure out how these 2 different waiver periods affect players when they overlap. (Example:  A player is dropped at 4PM Friday. This is outside the weekly waiver period. The 2-day setting requires the player to remain on waivers for Saturday and Sunday. Will the player be available Monday or once the 2-day period expires will they remain on waivers because the weekly waiver period has begun?)

2. Weekly waiver claim periods are supposed to end Tuesdays at 11:59PM PT. Let's say I have my league setup with a 1-day waiver period. Does that mean that players dropped as part of the weekly waiver claims will be placed on waivers at 11:59PM PT Tuesday, remain on waivers all day Wednesday, and become available Thursday?

3. I've read numerous places that Yahoo can be slow in processing weekly waiver wire claims. The weekly waiver claim period is supposed to end Tuesdays at 11:59PM PT. If Yahoo doesn't get around to processing those claims until 4AM Wednesday morning, how does this affect players dropped as part of the weekly waiver claims? Will Yahoo retroactively count those dropped players as having been placed on waivers at 11:59PM Tuesday even though they didn't get around to processing them until 4AM Wednesday? Or, will the players count as having been dropped at 4AM Wednesday?

If the players are counted as having been dropped at 4AM Wednesday, then that add additional time to the waiver claim period since Yahoo counts full days and not 24-hour periods. Thus there's a benefit if these players are counted as being dropped late Tuesday night (11:59PM) vs. early Wednesday morning.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sports Pro All-star

Re: Waiver Wire Questions

@antares

The fastest way for a player that is dropped to hit waivers is the "None" option.  That way every player is a FA as soon as they are dropped.

In your scenario, the player would not be placed on waivers because they were added and dropped in the same day.  If a manager does that, the player goes back to FA immediately regardless of the waiver option used in the league.  This is to prevent a single manager from burning thru all the top available players, forcing them into waivers.

7 REPLIES
Sports Pro All-star

@Pocketsidewalk

In question 1, you say 2 day waivers.  In question 2, you say 1 day waivers.  Which is it?

1, when does the players team play?  Thursday night?  Sunday night?  Monday night?  or are they on a bye.  The answer will vary by when his team plays.

2, again, when does the player play?  With this setting, all players go on waivers when their team plays until Tuesday night.  If they are already on waivers, their waiver time extends thru Tuesday night.

3, Yahoo is not slowing at processing waivers, but it does depend on where you live on how you are affected.  Waivers kicks off just after midnight Pacific time on Tuesdays.  That means for managers in the Pacific time zone and east, players are dropped on Wednesday.  Their first day on waivers would be Wednesday, 2nd day would be Thursday.

'Hoo Recruit

@Steve

Question 1

Question 1 reflects my current league settings. I would like an answer to the question based on a league setup wtih a 2-day waiver period and a weekly waiver period of Sunday - Tuesday. Also, for the Sunday - Tuesday weekly waiver period, it does not matter when the player's team plays. All unowned players are placed on waivers at 10AM PT on Sundays. But for the sake of argument, let's say the player in question plays on Monday night.

Question 2

Question 2 is a hypothetical question and assumes a league with a 1-day waiver period. But let me re-phrase that question for clarity:

"2. Weekly waiver claim periods are supposed to end Tuesdays at 11:59PM PT. Let's assume I have a league setup with a 1-day waiver period and a weekly waiver period of Sunday - Tuesday. Does that mean that players dropped as part of the weekly waiver claims will be placed on waivers at 11:59PM PT Tuesday, remain on waivers all day Wednesday, and become available Thursday?"

I would like an answer to question 2 based on a league setup wtih a 1-day waiver period and a weekly waiver period of Sunday - Tuesday. The second question should be answerable without regard to when the player's team plays. However, again for the sake of argument, let's say the player in question plays on Monday night.

Question 3

Thank you. Your answer to question 3 was very helpful.

Sports Pro All-star

@Pocketsidewalk

You are making an assumption on question 1.

If a player is on a bye or plays Monday night, they do not go to waivers until game time on Monday night.  Players that played Thursday or Sunday, they would already be on waivers.

Question 2 was answered by the answer to question 3.  If a player is dropped during waivers Tuesday night, and your league is set up as 1 day waivers, they can be picked up Wednesday night and used Thursday or for the weekend.

Finally, I'm sensing attitude.  You may want to check that.

Sports Pro All-star

I highly recommend that you use game time Tuesday instead of Sunday-tuesday.

And the answer to your question doesn't really change. If the player is on waivers when their game starts their free agency is pushed out until Tuesday night.
'Hoo Recruit

@Steve

It's funny that my reply to your 8:56 PM EDT post yesterday has been removed from this thread. Yahoo shows that I've posted 3 times, but only two are visble (not counting this one, of course).

Now that's a head scratcher.

'Hoo Recruit

I'm still confused. I pick up a free agent on thursday 3p.m. est.  Drop him at 4 pm. est.  When will he become a free agent again and allowed to be picked up ? What waiver wire settings will allow the player to become a free agent fastest ?  THANKS.

Tags (1)
Sports Pro All-star

@antares

The fastest way for a player that is dropped to hit waivers is the "None" option.  That way every player is a FA as soon as they are dropped.

In your scenario, the player would not be placed on waivers because they were added and dropped in the same day.  If a manager does that, the player goes back to FA immediately regardless of the waiver option used in the league.  This is to prevent a single manager from burning thru all the top available players, forcing them into waivers.