cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Team Owners That Bail

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

Team Owners That Bail

I run our league at work, and every year there’s always at least one owner who acts like a spoiled brat, dumping their best players onto waivers because they aren’t winning or won’t make the playoffs. That’s a huge gain for the first couple of owners atop the waiver list who can pick up those players, but not fair for everyone else. What’s the best way to handle it that is fair for all owners?
Tags (1)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Sports Pro All-star

Re: Team Owners That Bail

@42alan

If you report managers that dump their rosters to Yahoo customer care, Yahoo will restore the roster and lock the  team.

You need to do this asap though because as soon as dumped players get picked up by other teams Yahoo will not restore the roster.

Sports Pro All-star

@DragonRat

As commish, you can move the players back to the managers roster and lock the team.

You just need to do it before another team picks up any of the dropped players.

Commish tools, manage other teams, edit rosters.

Highlighted
Rookie All-star

@DragonRat   Ok, here's my take.

First, the only difference betw a work league and a friend or family league, or a combo league with friends of friends, is that your boss might be playing AND he might be a jerk.  If this is happening, it seems to me you're in a no-win situation and you might want to ask someone else to do it.

If not, keep things simple and don't try to run a democracy.  For example, the 1st time this happened, technically you should have announced that you are permanently changing the setting  to commish veto only.   Most trades should be pushed through except any that are obvious collusion (Mahomes and Kamara for Bortles and Dion Lewis).  Also, if you can identify the people doing this, don't ask them back.  This is important.

As Steve said, you want to avoid in season rule changes, but the exception to this is people screwing w/ the integrity of the league.  When that happens, you want to fix it quickly and try to avoid putting things to a vote.  This is always risky, because the jerks are voting, too. 

9 REPLIES
'Hoo Recruit

A 5 & 8 team mgr, eliminated from playoffs, dropped Gronk, Lindsey & Fournette in one of my pro leagues. The 3rd place team needs to win against the 5th place team (both are 8 & 5 as are 2 other teams). That 3rd place team got Lindsey and an eliminted team got Gronk. Fournette will not be available until the 12th because he played TNF.  I checked some of the history of the mgr who dropprd the good players and found he did it with other eliminated teams in other pro leagues as well. Of cousre he didn't do it with his clinched playoff teams and his playoff contending teams. 

Sports Pro All-star

@42alan

If you report managers that dump their rosters to Yahoo customer care, Yahoo will restore the roster and lock the  team.

You need to do this asap though because as soon as dumped players get picked up by other teams Yahoo will not restore the roster.

'Hoo Recruit

Lousy sportsmanship. The person in question actually still had a chance to make the playoffs, but assumed he wouldn’t and dumped his best players. I see some of that every year and it just makes me not want to play, or certainly be commish ever again.
Sports Pro All-star

@DragonRat

As commish, you can move the players back to the managers roster and lock the team.

You just need to do it before another team picks up any of the dropped players.

Commish tools, manage other teams, edit rosters.

'Hoo Recruit

Thanks. I figured I could probably do that, although I hesitate to because it’s a work league. Would prefer not to stir up any more hard feelings. There’s no money involved, just a trophy and bragging rights. Kind of presents a fine line as far as maintaining work relationships. Anyone else deal with issues in work leagues?
Highlighted
Rookie All-star

@DragonRat   Ok, here's my take.

First, the only difference betw a work league and a friend or family league, or a combo league with friends of friends, is that your boss might be playing AND he might be a jerk.  If this is happening, it seems to me you're in a no-win situation and you might want to ask someone else to do it.

If not, keep things simple and don't try to run a democracy.  For example, the 1st time this happened, technically you should have announced that you are permanently changing the setting  to commish veto only.   Most trades should be pushed through except any that are obvious collusion (Mahomes and Kamara for Bortles and Dion Lewis).  Also, if you can identify the people doing this, don't ask them back.  This is important.

As Steve said, you want to avoid in season rule changes, but the exception to this is people screwing w/ the integrity of the league.  When that happens, you want to fix it quickly and try to avoid putting things to a vote.  This is always risky, because the jerks are voting, too. 

'Hoo Recruit

I appreciate your input. It doesn’t have anything to do with trades. I made that commish only last year after an issue. This is simply an owner being a poor sport and dumping his best players. I realize now I should have some basic rules in place if I want to continue. Thanks for replying. BTW, the boss does play, but he’s a good guy.
Bold 'Hoo

its a shame, but i guess you have to address it next year in a pre-season league message.  its so stupid for these guys to act this way in a work league.  are they completely oblivious to the red flags they are hoisting for their co-workers and friends to see?  

'Hoo Recruit

Exactly. And they take all the fun out of it for everyone else. Several people have told me they don’t intend to play next year because of it.