cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

email address is not linked to a Yahoo ID

'Hoo Recruit

email address is not linked to a Yahoo ID

I am trying to join a group, I login with my yahoo email id, however when I click on 'Join Group' it gives me error, 'Your email address is not linked to a Yahoo ID. To join this group, you need to link your email address to a Yahoo account.'. As I am logged in with my yahoo id, how it cannot be linked. Please help me with the solution.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES
Reliable 'Hoo

Re: email address is not linked to a Yahoo ID

I suspect you're confusing two things.  Just because you have a Yahoo Mail e-mail address doesn't make that the 'official' e-mail that Groups uses.

Go into your Yahoo account and check that the primary e-mail address is the one you're trying to use for Groups (I suspect that if you try to get into your account using the "Yahoo" e-mail address you're trying to sign in with, it won't be listed as primary)

The alternative method to join a group is to sign up using the e-mail 'subscribe' command (which will get you into the e-mail stream when you respond, using the e-mail account of your choice), then contact one of the moderators via the secret <groupname>-owner address and ask if they will issue you an 'invitation' to join as a full-featured member (which will let you set up the Yahoo e-mail address as a Yahoo ID).  Then you can add any other accounts you want to that Yahoo ID...

Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Hello

I have the same problem for weeks!

I only have one Yahoo email account.  I tried everything I read. Please help.

Trusted 'Hoo Helper

Have a look at the following:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/sln2464.html

'Hoo Recruit

Yep. Almost impossible to do so. No wonder Google could buy Yahoo about 1000 times over.

Pro 'Hoo

You may need to go to the following wizard to update your links to the groups

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/memwiz

'Hoo Recruit

that is so generic..
does not address my issue.

My GOD...
I heard of a Yahoo group, found it on Google, then went to join group and is says...

Your email address is not linked to a Yahoo ID. To join this group, you need to link your email address to a Yahoo account.

Yeah, an hour on this.
I created a Yahoo account using my gmail, apparently I have a Yahoo account and I chose to use gmail not Yahoo mail...

So what is the scoop? Yahoo wont let me join unless I use Yahoo mail?
SO FRUSTRATING>..

Facebook groups so easy...

Trusted 'Hoo Helper

Yahoo stupidly deleted the help article for gaining full membership. However, if you created a Yahoo account using your gmail email address then you should be able to log in to Yahoo with that email as your Yahoo account name and then join the group. Afterwards be sure to change your Yahoo profile and email address to point to your gmail account. I personally would not give Yahoo access to my Gmail account.

New 'Hoo

After at least an hour or two of searching and trying things, this is the absolute first helpful message that I found. Why on earth wasn't this solution mentioned anywhere else!?  Absolutely no way to get to this wizard from inside the main Yahoo groups page!

New 'Hoo

Something seems to be wrong with the linking process. 

I went to Yahoo groups home page.

https://groups.yahoo.com/

From there, I clicked on email preferences.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/all/preferences

That brought up a window with the unchecked option.

Yahoo! ID Preference:  Always use this Yahoo! ID when I join a group with this email address"

I checked it, then saved it, but it fails to make the change and it keeps reverting to the deselected option. 
I repeated the process several times, and allowed time for it to process before moving on to the next step, yet it fails every time.  The result is that I am no longer able to join any groups by using the JOIN THIS GROUP link.