Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Yahoo Groups Transfer Group Ownership

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

Yahoo Groups Transfer Group Ownership

Our group owner has lost interest in the subject of our group, but the rest of the group remains very active. How can the owner transfer ownership to a new person to run the group?

• Groups
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-Star

Re: Yahoo Groups Transfer Group Ownership

Appoint new moderators and owners

Need extra help moderating your group? Owners and moderators with "Add, remove, and change moderator" privileges can promote other group members to either moderator or owner.

1. On your group's main page, click Management | Manage Members.
  2. Click the name of the member you'd like to promote.
  3. Next to "Role," select either Owner or Moderator.
  4. Click Change Settings to review and assign privileges.
  5. After completing your settings review, click Save.

Newly appointed group moderators and owners will be given moderation privileges (e.g., adding, editing, and deleting items for all users) for the sections of the group available at the time of their appointment (e.g., Files, Polls, Photos, Database, etc.).

Feel free to Reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my replies are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
23 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-Star

Appoint new moderators and owners

Need extra help moderating your group? Owners and moderators with "Add, remove, and change moderator" privileges can promote other group members to either moderator or owner.

1. On your group's main page, click Management | Manage Members.
  2. Click the name of the member you'd like to promote.
  3. Next to "Role," select either Owner or Moderator.
  4. Click Change Settings to review and assign privileges.
  5. After completing your settings review, click Save.

Newly appointed group moderators and owners will be given moderation privileges (e.g., adding, editing, and deleting items for all users) for the sections of the group available at the time of their appointment (e.g., Files, Polls, Photos, Database, etc.).

Feel free to Reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my replies are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
'Hoo Recruit

I also have this problem. The original owner died but made me an owner as well. I am trying to make someone else a moderator but I do not get the drop down to change someone's role. When I click on someone's name, the role is read only. How can I make someone a moderator?

Reliable 'Hoo

In the 'old days', a group needed to have at least one 'owner' (who then appointed other owners and moderators).  That meant that if there are multiple owners, any of them could 'quit' except the last one standing.  When there was a 'transfer of power', the owner elevated a member to 'owner' status, at which point they were free to leave.

weissml2, the problem as I understand it is that you WERE elevated to 'owner' status, but your login is not recognizing that, even though (I presume) you are using the exact credentials used in the elevated account.  That should be something that customer care can easily assist you in addressing, including what might need to be updated or confirmed if the original account was suspended for login inactivity (another of those 'unanticipated consequences' the /neo/ team had such fun encountering).

It may be possible -- customer care confirm if so -- that someone can be elevated to mod status on a 'new' membership, using the poll process or some other internal procedure communicated via PM, and then use that authority to edit an owner member's records sufficiently to allow them to log in as owner (e.g., with a new secondary e-mail address or cell phone verification set up and tested).  Once they are in there, they can properly elevate you (or anyone else) to full owner status 'correctly'.

Do you actually need the full ownership rights (e.g. to terminate or delete a group)?  All you need to keep it running, spam-free, without irresponsible members, etc. is mod privileges. 

'Hoo Recruit

Someone needs to be the owner- currently the only owner died. I have a blue "king" icon next to my name but I can't make someone else the moderator. I do not have full access in this group and since th owner died there is no one else to do it. In another group where I am the owner, I do have access to make others moderators.

I tried to contact customer care but the menus sent me in circles and I couldn't find any actual contact information.

Reliable 'Hoo

Out of curiosity, does the original owner have a gold 'crown' next to their name?

If you have the blue crown, you're supposed to have all the rights of an owner in addition to mod powers.  Now here is a fun bit of information: if for any reason you have e-mails that are bouncing, or have at one time bounced when the Yahoo system tried to send mail to them, you'll have to go in and 'debounce' them (according to Echo a couple of years ago) before the system will recognize you. 

Now for the fun part:  Here is the Yahoo help URL for the article Echo linked:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN2564.html?impressions=true

Presumably the information in the article is still current.  (We can hope that customer care will correct the situation and provide a more current reference if necessary.)

Note that this presumes you can successfully log into Yahoo on the account related to the e-mail address that has the crown next to it.  (Since you said you could see this crown, I assume you were able to log in and at least get to the members list).  Now, it was my understanding that any moderator could run a debounce for any member (I ran them regularly for older bouncing members including the owner of record when I first moderated a group).  However, note that you have to be able to receive the debouncing message on your system, probably without it being rejected as spam or sent to junk mail, and you will have to respond to a confirmation link in the message (successful electronic reception of the message isn't enough to complete the process).  Then you may have to wait several hours, perhaps as much as a day, for the reset to process and 0work its way through the server architecture.

I suspect that when this has been done you will see the controls again. 

'Hoo Recruit

I transferred ownership to another member of the group, and stupidly, downgraded myself to member before testing that the other member had owner rights. The other member does not have owner rights and now the group is without an owner (or an owner that can access any owner functions). Yahoo Help is not helpful, none of the articles address this issue. 

New 'Hoo

i have the same problem also.. the orginal owner removed himself and gave control to another person but he doesn't have any control. i am trying to gain control or get him control back and yahoo help topics are not helping at all.. PLEASE HELP US IN THIS MATTER.....

'Hoo Recruit

I have a similar problem, though I'm the one who transferred the ownership, and stupidly removed myself as owner before testing the other user had owner rights. The new owner does NOT have owner rights and doesn't even show as a member of the group, although she can send and receive messages to/from the group. What's up? How to fix this? Yahoo help is not helpful. 

'Hoo Recruit

If only there were "customer care" . . .