cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Moderator no longer involved with group

'Hoo Recruit

Moderator no longer involved with group

Hello.  A yahoo group I am involved with is no longer being moderated by its original creator/owner.  The members of the group is concerned that all data and files may be deleted if the moderator no longer has interest.  This happened a number of years ago to an associated yahoo group.  Is it possible to gain moderator access level without permission of the group owner?

4 REPLIES
'Hoo Helper

Re: Moderator no longer involved with group

Hello @cgrest,

A groups really needs an active owner (or moderator with sufficient powers) who can access the group through an appropriate owner/moderator email. If this is not the case, my educated advice is to create a new group and urge the members of the original group to move there. My personal recommendation is to not use Yahoo Groups for the new group. Yahoo has made it clear that Yahoo Groups is no longer well supported: in practice, this means that Yahoo does not intervene should a Yahoo Group become unworkable.

However, if you chose to move to a new Yahoo Group, please note that the group should have at least two owner (people, not emails) and each owner should maintain at least two owner emails.

David.

'Hoo Recruit

Hello David.

Thanks for the reply.  The issue is this moderator is no longer active.  We all want to start a new group on a new group system, but migrate the files from the current yahoo group in order to preserve them. 

So based on that, is there any way that the current yahoo group can be, for lack of a better term, "hijacked" so we can secure and migrate the files to a new group?

Thanks.

Colin

'Hoo Helper

Hi @cgrest,

Yahoo once had a manual process to appoint a new moderator. It never, to the best of my knowledge, had an adequate process, because the process only work if the group has polls enabled and there were enough older members who could be voted for. That said, the help page for the process has long been removed and Yahoo has provided no recent evidence that the process works.

Perhaps someone on the Group Managers Forum can help find third-party web software to obtain files, photos, links and messages for your Group. There would still be the problem of how to make these available on a new web product.

You can also create a new group elsewhere on the web. The remaining problems will be how to stop posting on the existing Yahoo Group and how to convince existing members to migrate to the new group. Without a moderator with appropriate powers there are no solution for these problems that I know of.

David.

'Hoo Recruit

Hi David.

Thanks for your help and advice.  We were successfully able to get in touch with the moderator and will be moving the contents to another group site.  Also will be having multiple group moderators to keep things up to date and ensure the info doesn't dissapear.

Colin