cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
We have planned maintenance Sep 28, Midnight to 4 am PT. We don't anticipate any downtime.

Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Entire group is experiencing significant delay in receiving yahoo group emails

Pro 'Hoo

Entire group is experiencing significant delay in receiving yahoo group emails

Some of the unmoderated Yahoo Group emails have started taking hours (sometimes over 24) to be delivered. We've been using this system without issue for years. The delay started this week and is only happening to some messages. These emails usually announce the last minute weather related cancellation of group bicycle rides. Receiving the cancellation email the next day (after having driven to the ride's starting place only to discover that the ride had been cancelled) is just rubbing salt in the wound.

As a follow up, looking at the list of messages (...groups/groupname/conversations/messages), the message received time (to the left of the message number) show the time the system sent the message out to the group, but if you click on one of the delayed messages in the list (drill down) to look at the individual message (...groups/groupname/conversations/messages/message#), you see the message sent time, which is the time and date the message was sent by the user to yahoo groups for redistribution, and that time is often hours earlier (sometimes over 24). Clearly, you are receiving the message when it is sent by the user, but for some reason, something in your "plumbing" is causing some of our group messages to be delayed before being distribited to the rest of the group.

17 REPLIES
Contributin' 'Hoo

Re: Entire group is experiencing significant delay in receiving yahoo group emails

I run several Yahoo Groups lists that are also experiencing significant delays in messages posting.  I believe this is only occurring with unmoderated messages.  Messages can take many hours to post, and even up to days to post.  Not happening to all list members, just some. 

Reliable 'Hoo

Re: Entire group is experiencing significant delay in receiving yahoo group emails

I am not sure why any critical message of this kind would be sent except through or by a moderator, perhaps checking the  'special notices' box to make sure all members get the information via e-mail.  The question then would be whether the mods are getting informational mail sent to them or to the special <groupname>-owner address in a timely enough fashion to issue them "officially".

I agree that a better answer is to find and fix any latency problem with e-mail retransmission in general.  I am not sure this is 'critical' enough to be addressed with Groups deprioritized, but I certainly hope it will be.

Contributin' 'Hoo

"I am not sure why any critical message of this kind would be sent except through or by a moderator, perhaps checking the  'special notices' box to make sure all members get the information via e-mail.  The question then would be whether the mods are getting informational mail sent to them or to the special <groupname>-owner address in a timely enough fashion to issue them "officially"."

Not sure what you're talking about??  These are just regular list messages posted by our list members. Not necessarily messages posted by mods (although several of the moderators, including myself, have been affected.)  None of those messages posted by the modes were marked as "Special Notice".  I never mentioned anything about "critical" messages.  Some of our list members are finding that their regular list messages are being significantly delayed.  Sometimes as long as a day before we see them posted, or receive them in our Inboxes. 

Still experiencing delays.  Again - not all list members are affected, but many are.  Does not appear to be just one email program, either.  Across the board with many different types of email programs.

Reliable 'Hoo

The comment about 'critical' was addressed toward OP 'sabuch' who said that important last-minute information or changes were inconveniencing his members when delayed. If the problem is connected with member-to-group rather than member-to-mod or moderator 'special notices' ... and I think that may be likely ... then setting up a system where all critical changes go through mods is likely to be the only workable solution until Groups comes out of deprioritized status.

There is little question that something in the Yahoo system is retarding messages. I do not know what sort of automated system would have the random latency being described in the header-information reports, which leads me to think that someone is periodically releasing things held by a misconfigured filter or blacklist system (which Yahoo tech won't be motivated to fix now as it's scarcely a positivemonetizable feature in a prospective asset sale).

I continue to wonder if e-mails to the 'special' Group addresses, or to/from owners or mods, are experiencing the same level or intensity of delay. I also wonder on general principles whether the delays are more pronounced for Groups behind the 'adult wall'.

I'm hoping that Echo et al. will have enough interest to look into this with some traceroute or similar tools and see what's causing the delaying, or at least if there are things we can do to work around being 'caught' by whatever it is.
Established 'Hoo

Ummm... what do you mean that Groups is de-prioritized? Can you link to something official saying that?

If that really is the case, I need to talk with the other moderators of my groups and start planning our transition to a platform that is actually supported, so please let me know if you can substantiate that claim. If you can, my life just got a lot more complicated. 

Thanks.

Reliable 'Hoo

You will find a number of explicit references, but no 'hard' definitions, to Groups being deprioritized if you search this community (as provided via lithium.com). That includes at least one comment by Echo Sanders, who is in a positive position to know all the relevant details.

I am presuming this is more a scarce-resource allocation than a 'code word' that Groups is slated for destruction, and I continue to agitate for shifting as much Groups support and explanation to third parties (like people in this community or on Group Managers Forum) to save wear, tear, and despair. I do not expect any great feature introduction or major 'structural bug fixes' until the presumptive asset sales or spinoffs have been made, but I also do not expect merely a notification of summary termination as was done for so many other Yahoo programs and experimental services or acquisitions.

It does look as if the principal of groups.io is dedicated to helping port Groups resources over to that platform, and GMF has covered some of the tools and approaches to physically move the data. It might make sense to set up a 'shadow group' on another service as insurance against losing lists or file contents, etc., but I do NOT advise terminating or deleting the Groups you have, or 'forking' them so new content is not mirrored or duplicated on the existing Yahoo ones. One of our goals here is, or ought to be, to keep Yahoo Groups alive regardless of where its ownership goes, and premature emphasis on what is essentially jumping ship is no more helpful than threats, abuse, or expressing sarcasm without constructive criticism...

Pro 'Hoo

I think all Yahoo Groups are having the same problem and Yahoo doesn't seem to be acknowledging the problem.

'Hoo Recruit

We are having similar problems with our moderated group.  Messages sent via email aren't showing up at all.  Until yesterday, we could get messages through by going to the Group page and creating them there.  As of this morning, not even that is working.

I'm a moderator and am getting no notice, and there is nothing in the Pending Approvals page even though I know messages have been sent.

Where do we find answers? I've never posted to the Help Community before.

Established 'Hoo

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've been in software (for 20 years, before retiring out) so I know the drill, and I do not want to prematurely jump ship.

That said, I also know that I have had problems with Yahoo Groups in the past and getting support to work on them was like pulling teeth. 

One of the groups I moderate is a neighborhood talk group, and today, in our geographical region, there was a murder, and a car chase, and a second death in a nearby town. People are trying to talk about that, find information, etc. And guess what... messages to an unmoderated group are coming through at random intervals, leading to people asking the same questions, not seeing the responses of others, etc. It's much more chaotic than usual in that group as a result, and there is nothing I can do about it.

At this point, given the complete lack of response from Yahoo on this issue, and given my past experience trying to get support for Groups, I really do think that starting to plan a departure is a rational thing to do. Sad, but true.