cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Two Yahoo e-mail accounts linked - how do I un-link them? Solution not yet found.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

Two Yahoo e-mail accounts linked - how do I un-link them? Solution not yet found.

I really really dislike this whole linking of accounts. This means everyone who uses a yahoo account on my computer is a "linked" account and "unlinking" them seems to provide a message that the account will be erased! Now I am guessing from reading others responses that when going threw the unlinking process, despite the fact that this is only suppose to effect the device you are using and not the email account that is stored with yahoo, this is not the case. Accounts are being canceled and then have to be re-instated. At  this point my step son who visits weekly and my father, and our cousin who comes every other weekend can not use my computer or the wifi to connect to yahoo for fear it will combine everything. (Hate to go through this everytime they visit) I have email accounts that I've had for nearly 20yrs now. I do not wish to loose these email accounts nor do I wish to link them to any other account being used in my house. (myself, my husband, our young son, our older son, my father, and my cousin all use wifi in my house. Must we all connect our accounts? Do we have to unlink every time they want to check there email?) Is there any other option or do I simply need to seek another service for my email accounts and home page to avoid this awful change. Is it your intention to force out all older yahoo accounts? I've read several other posts stating the same issue several with accounts over 10yrs old. I'm sure this is meant to be convenient or is perhaps for security reasons but I HATE IT!!!!! This is one of the worst changes yahoo has made in a very long time. Heaven forbid you try logging in at work! The other day I was at the library. I hate to think if someone there is being asked if they want to link to my account now. What a mess!!! There must be a better way dear yahoo. GET RID OF FORCED LINKING OF ACCOUNTS! YOUR RUINING YAHOO MAIL!!! Woman Frustrated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Two Yahoo e-mail accounts linked - how do I un-link them? Solution not yet found.

Greetings Jb62

Connect, manage, or remove other email addresses in Yahoo Mail - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/sln22048.html

When you connect another account to your Yahoo account you can see both accounts in one place and you can move between both accounts by clicking on the account you wish to view.  That's the whole point, you connect multiple accounts to one account so you don't have to sign into each account individually.   What you may not realize though is you're not seeing the actual mailbox for the connected accounts but a representation of the mailbox.  You can delete emails from your view of the connected mailbox but if you were to sign in to the actual account for this connected mailbox you will see the email is still there.  The only thing you're changing is how you view the emails in the connected mailbox.

When you no longer want these account connected you go through the steps in the article above to disconnect them.

Remove an email account from your Yahoo Mail

1. Mouse over the Settings icon Image of the Settings icon. | select Settings.
  2. Click Accounts.
  3. Select the account.
  4. Click Remove mailbox.
  5. Click Remove mailbox again to confirm.

When you go to disconnect the mailbox you get a scary warning message saying you are about to delete everything for this connected mailbox but don't worry that doesn't mean it's deleting anything from the actual account, it's just saying that it's removing the mailbox view from your account which is exactly what you want to do. 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
6 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Two Yahoo e-mail accounts linked - how do I un-link them? Solution not yet found.

@Savincoin

Youi can access as many Yahoo accounts as you want on a single computer WITHOUT LINKING.. You sign out of one account and sign into the other. Only a single account can be active at one time in a single browser.

The reason for the linking option is for convenience so they all appear in one place and you do not have to sign in and out. It should never be done with someone else's account especially if they do not live there. When mail is linked they are never combined. In fact you can not move mail between accounts.

When you link accounts Yahoo now uses IMAP. There is no loss of any email. The message may be a leftover from when POP3 was used.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
New 'Hoo

Sorry, either you are wrong or my account is the only one linking both my accounts in one place and can access both accounts when I only open one and see all posts in both accounts when I only open one. From the sound of it, I'm NOT the only one having this issue. It's not ok for yahoo to have done this to us
Mail Pro All-star

Greetings Jb62

Connect, manage, or remove other email addresses in Yahoo Mail - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/sln22048.html

When you connect another account to your Yahoo account you can see both accounts in one place and you can move between both accounts by clicking on the account you wish to view.  That's the whole point, you connect multiple accounts to one account so you don't have to sign into each account individually.   What you may not realize though is you're not seeing the actual mailbox for the connected accounts but a representation of the mailbox.  You can delete emails from your view of the connected mailbox but if you were to sign in to the actual account for this connected mailbox you will see the email is still there.  The only thing you're changing is how you view the emails in the connected mailbox.

When you no longer want these account connected you go through the steps in the article above to disconnect them.

Remove an email account from your Yahoo Mail

1. Mouse over the Settings icon Image of the Settings icon. | select Settings.
  2. Click Accounts.
  3. Select the account.
  4. Click Remove mailbox.
  5. Click Remove mailbox again to confirm.

When you go to disconnect the mailbox you get a scary warning message saying you are about to delete everything for this connected mailbox but don't worry that doesn't mean it's deleting anything from the actual account, it's just saying that it's removing the mailbox view from your account which is exactly what you want to do. 

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Established 'Hoo

Okay this seems to have unlinked the accounts but my contact list is still full of the other email addresses contacts. My other email account is for business and I need to send out a newsletter with out sending to everyone from my personal contact list. How do I separate the lists without deleting them all.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings Savincoin

Unfortunately you can't separate your contact list that easy.

Add, edit, or delete contacts in Yahoo Mail - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN7188.html?impressions=true

Removing email addresses from the Autocomplete suggestions - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4642.html?impressions=true

Create, edit, and delete contact lists in Yahoo Mail - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/contact-lists-sln22077.html

New 'Hoo

My goodness thank you!!
I have been trying to get rid of  this forever!!!
I couldn't sort and move to different folders!!!