cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Mail Community Contest 6 (Apr 27, 2018 - May 25, 2018)

Suspicious activities and unknown login from Reston, Virginia.

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

Suspicious activities and unknown login from Reston, Virginia.

Suspicious access from Reston, Virginia. Hi I started having problem oct 13th where I noticed someone trying to get into my ebay account by attempting to reset password and having access to my yahoo account to do so. Ebay temporarily blocked activities and I reset my yahoo password; change the setting on my phone to use yahoo mail instead of the standard android email, and made my phone the main way to get in. I thought that would have resolved the problem but someone from Reston, Virginia again login to my account I think on Nov 2 despite all the extra security steps. no notifications were seen. I just noticed emails I haven't read yet that was read. Please help me resolve this as the yahoo email is my primary email. if not I will have to disable this email and have to inform all further parties to change contact which would be quite a hassle.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderatin' 'Hoo

Re: Suspicious activities and unknown login from Reston, Virginia.

Hi @bayard - Monitoring your recent login activity is crucial for keeping your account safe. Yahoo lets you keep track of the time and location of recent logins so you can guard your account against suspicious activity.

Check your recent activity

It's a good idea to check your recent activity regularly. Be aware that there are some legitimate reasons why your history can show an unfamiliar location, like your mobile device picking up the wrong location or your internet provider using a location proxy.

• Recent activity - See which devices or browsers your account is currently signed into. Click on each device to view the sign in history for the last 30 days.
  • Apps connected to your account - Apps you've given permission to use.
  • Recent account access changes - Shows the last 3 password changes.

Signed in somewhere unexpected? - Click Sign out or Remove by the questionable activity. You'll want to immediately change your password, as it might be saved on that device.

Understand IP addresses in your recent activity

Your IP address defines your online location. If you always sign in from the same computer, your IP address should be the same or at least start with the same few sets of numbers.

If you see an IP address that's very different from the usual IP, you may have signed in from a different location. If that is not the case, you'll want to change your password and secure your account.

4 REPLIES
Moderatin' 'Hoo

Hi @bayard - Monitoring your recent login activity is crucial for keeping your account safe. Yahoo lets you keep track of the time and location of recent logins so you can guard your account against suspicious activity.

Check your recent activity

It's a good idea to check your recent activity regularly. Be aware that there are some legitimate reasons why your history can show an unfamiliar location, like your mobile device picking up the wrong location or your internet provider using a location proxy.

• Recent activity - See which devices or browsers your account is currently signed into. Click on each device to view the sign in history for the last 30 days.
  • Apps connected to your account - Apps you've given permission to use.
  • Recent account access changes - Shows the last 3 password changes.

Signed in somewhere unexpected? - Click Sign out or Remove by the questionable activity. You'll want to immediately change your password, as it might be saved on that device.

Understand IP addresses in your recent activity

Your IP address defines your online location. If you always sign in from the same computer, your IP address should be the same or at least start with the same few sets of numbers.

If you see an IP address that's very different from the usual IP, you may have signed in from a different location. If that is not the case, you'll want to change your password and secure your account.

New 'Hoo

Re: Suspicious activities and unknown login from Herndon, Virginia.

Today I checked Recent Activity to find that someone has been logging into my account in Herndon, Virginia.

I thought I changed my password frequently (last Sep 2016) but the Herndon, Virginia location activitiy is shown from 2 months ago so roughly from Oct 14 until 3 days ago (Sunday Dec 11) - scary. Of course I have changed my password again but not sure that's going to help.

New 'Hoo

hi my Email  account when i search for anything it pops up the location is everest washington and i live in lebanon oregon so if my account has been compromised how do i stop this a lot of times i will be temporarly locked out of account also.

'Hoo Recruit

Ive had the same, logins from places I am not at. I discovered this when it proimpted me to view for suspicious activity. It even says that while I am currently logged in at Northern NSW that this current session is at Sydney, some 500 miles away. I would like to know WTF this is about. I notice there is no "contact yahoo" link. I just want to know is my account going through sydney, or is it someone piggybacked onto my account? If the latter, then changing my password isnt much help as the piggybacker would see the change as well.