cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Mail Filter appears to not work

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Mail Filter appears to not work

I have set up filters for my mail. The biggest spam I get is regarding ***bleep***. I made a filter that if the from is ***bleep*** (and that is what is visible when I see the spam) the filter should send it to the trash. If does not. My spam box is full of ***bleep*** emails and not one of the were sent to trash.

Not sure why but I think the Yahoo Mail Filter needs to be reworked so any field results in the requested action.

Yahoo, help us help you!

added - I see you bleeped out my spam filter lable. Maybe that is what your mail app is doing and that is why the spam is not getting filtered. Interesting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-Star

Re: Mail Filter appears to not work

@Briand253

Fix issues with Yahoo Mail filters | Mail for Desktop Help - SLN27270

If filters aren't working properly or emails aren't sent to the correct folder, review our filtering guidelines.

All emails go through the spam filter before going through other filters. If your emails aren't in the correct folder, check your spam folder first.

Empty filters

If you create an empty filter that doesn't contain any rules, it will perform the following:

• Route messages sent by an email address with an empty character to the Inbox.
  • If the empty filter is at the top of the filter list, all other filter rules will be voided and emails will instead be sent to the Inbox.
Multiple criteria
  • A filter will use all of the rules you define to determine which mail to filter.
  • If you want to filter all messages that either contain criteria A or criteria B, create 2 filters.
Conflicting rules
  • Avoid using negative criteria like "does not contain" with positive criteria like "begins with."
  • Make sure there isn't a conflicting filter above a filter that isn't working.
Filter limitations for POP accounts
  • Mail clients using POP only download email from the Inbox folder.
  • Filters to other folders will prevent your mail client from downloading them.

Spam - While filters won't stop spam, there are ways that you can manage and prevent it.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
4 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-Star

@Briand253

Fix issues with Yahoo Mail filters | Mail for Desktop Help - SLN27270

If filters aren't working properly or emails aren't sent to the correct folder, review our filtering guidelines.

All emails go through the spam filter before going through other filters. If your emails aren't in the correct folder, check your spam folder first.

Empty filters

If you create an empty filter that doesn't contain any rules, it will perform the following:

• Route messages sent by an email address with an empty character to the Inbox.
  • If the empty filter is at the top of the filter list, all other filter rules will be voided and emails will instead be sent to the Inbox.
Multiple criteria
  • A filter will use all of the rules you define to determine which mail to filter.
  • If you want to filter all messages that either contain criteria A or criteria B, create 2 filters.
Conflicting rules
  • Avoid using negative criteria like "does not contain" with positive criteria like "begins with."
  • Make sure there isn't a conflicting filter above a filter that isn't working.
Filter limitations for POP accounts
  • Mail clients using POP only download email from the Inbox folder.
  • Filters to other folders will prevent your mail client from downloading them.

Spam - While filters won't stop spam, there are ways that you can manage and prevent it.

'Hoo Recruit

Thanks for the standard response. I think a robot actually sent this and not a human. Anyway...

There are four fields for the Filter.

To/CC:

Subject:

Body:

Hopefully these fields are not treated as AND fields. If so there is the problem. So let's continue.

When I receive a mail it is "From" someone. Usually a name or (contextual name) and not an email address. So if I do not want to receive a mail from that person/entity I put a portion of that name in the "From" field. That should then filter out all email that CONTAIN that/those word(s). The other three fields are empty. If those fields MUST contain something then the battle is lost.

So, I get an email from "Get your new trailer here". I put in the FROM field "trailer" and tell the filter to send the mail to TRASH. It does not do that. It just sends on its merry way like nothing happened.

Like your robot said, maybe the mail is going to the spam filter first and is automatically sent to the spam folder and therefore, never reaches the filters I have established. And that is why I keep getting mail in my spam folder that I telling the filter to delete.

Whatever the reason, the filter is not working.

Thanks

Mail Pro All-Star

@Briand253

Those are the first steps and often lead to a fix.  If it didn't in your case I apologize, and thank you for the additional information.

My frist thought is "trailer" would be a word from the subject rather than a part of a from address, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in with thoughts on this.  Staff often comes in and answers.

'Hoo Recruit

Apologies if I refered to you as a robot. The reply was just so standard.

I used "trailer" as a key word for the filter. Here is an example as I look at the email in raw form...

From: "Get your good trailer" &**Username Protected**@mail.com>

This is just modified but it was taken from a pill email I got. So I am using "trailer" as my keyword to move the mail to trash. However, as I mentioned, it is not working.

JFYI and thanks