cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

I joined up using email not a phone number and now can't get inbox or settings etc

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

I joined up using email not a phone number and now can't get inbox or settings etc

Hello ;

This may seem silly as i have not had a yahoo account for a long long time. I just signed up to yahoo mail but as i never ever used phone numbers on the net. it is now requiring a phone number i did not wish to do this . So i said ' prefer to use current email ' i did this with other email and the account was made. however . Now unliike normal yahoo mail I can not get to inbox or such i get a ' flash ' of it on sign in . Also when i press the gear for settings I literally have no filters or any normal settings i see on the websites and help sites and youtubes i have tried to watch . Does this mean if you do not have a phone number verification that this is now ' Only ' a sort of proxy address for the other email address i put in ? i thougth that was just for verificatoin code that i got. seems now i am signing in with that and i can not get any of the ' normal features. How can i make this a 'normal ' account please or get those ' 1 second inbox and normal things to be showing up as normal like a normal yahoo account like my friends one looks please. Any help appreicated as i do not want a proxy type of email i need a normal account and i am not sure what is going on at the moment with this account . thank you for  your help . Smiley Happy and reading .

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mail All-star

Re: I joined up using email not a phone number and now can't get inbox or settings etc

Ok Sasha,no need for screenshot as this forum might not allow it.I think I now understand that the type of account you have based on the link you supplied is not one of the ones I supplied so therefore this verifies what Scootermobile said. I think you need to sign up for yahoo account but not use your own address,it will ask for mobile number.Once account is made add an alternate email address for recovery then remove the mobile number. This might mean deleting the other account,if there are important messages to keep then forward them over to the new account.I hope this helps
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: re last post

@Sasha3

A lot of bleeps going on, haha! Smiley Happy Anyway, it sounds like you'll need to create a new Yahoo account with a Yahoo username.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Established 'Hoo

Re: re last post Hello Scooter ( and Thank you VERY much for all your help TIDUS ! :)

@Scootermobile wrote:

@Sasha3

A lot of bleeps going on, haha! Smiley Happy Anyway, it sounds like you'll need to create a new Yahoo account with a Yahoo username.

17 REPLIES
Mail All-star

Re: I joined up using email not a phone number and now can't get inbox or settings etc

My guess is that you're seeing the basic format,probably you switched to that format a while back or your using an outdated or unsupported web browser.Try using an up to date browser such as firefox & see if it helps.

Established 'Hoo

Dear Tidus ;

Thank you for trying to help me . I do have the latest Firefox i just updated it last week but went and checked again to update but said i had the latest version already .. the only other clue i can give is when I log in and go to mail .. it says after a flash of inbox sent and something list liek my friends and long ago mine other old one ... it says.. "

---------------------

Welcome to Yahoo Mail
You're signed in as ((My Email is listed in here blah blah .com )
You can receive and organize your emails using Yahoo Mail. Tell us your provider to get started.

Google
Oulook
AOL
-------------------
so i am wondering now if only saying i would rather do by email ... that is is asking to be like a pop server thing rather than my email public? i have never put mmy phone number on the net and don't want to . so i thougth that was ok but seems if you join that way this is what is happening . my friend sais ( she did use a phone number) she got her code by text by choice and then hers never said anything like this only just opened normal and she has had hers about 4 weeks .. so i am thinking maybe i have if you join without phone and say ' i would rather use my current email address' i thought this was to verify and security and it did send me a code But i am wondering very much if it is when you say that maybe they don't mean ' use my current email ' maybe they mean something else .. but i dont want to open more accounts in my name to check if it happens again as i dont think it would let me  anyway ... i haev also now checked this on another computer yesterday and it looks the same on their computer so i am more confused now . as her computer hers is normal i use it ... and mine is still like this .. i do not know if you have ever seen this message above but that is what i get all the time and have as i was saying no settings and it always opens up to that message page above. I wish i could give you more clues or help or hints if i can tell you any more please ask as i don't know how to fix this now i do very much want a yahoo account but i can't seem to understand the difference or if maybe we are never ever allowed to join using emails anymore i know lots of places do not like gmail and hotmail i chose yahoo because i wanted a yahoo address but also i had that choice ( or so i thought) to verify its really me without giving a phone number over the net. . If i can tel you any things more or you have anny more suggestions for me to try please let me konw i will do it and try .. thank you so muc for trying ot help me as i do need help i do not understand it as when i last had public mails no phone numbers were needed just your email so  I am very confused. thanks again Tidus.  And if any one else has any help suggestions or has seen this or knows if this is odd or normal or i have signed up to something by using no phone number i can't have a normal account or any other help please let me know . its  very frustrating and confusing to me.. will give any other informatino requested to help with it if needed.
thank you again tidus again any other help hints or suggestoins i will try and now i knowis same on two comptuers that one does use yahoo its even More odd.

Mail All-star

Look in your address bar in the browser,take note of the url as this will tell you which version of yahoo mail you have.It should be one of these:

This is the basic mail version

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/launch

This is standard mail version

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch

This is for the new beta version

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1

Official 'Hoo Staff

@Sasha3

It sounds like you may have signed up for a Yahoo account using a non-Yahoo address. Follow the steps here for signing up for a new Yahoo account.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Established 'Hoo

Dear Tidus

Thanks again for helping me with my problem

it says on the address bar exactly this

https://mail.yahoo.com/?reason=IMAP_UPSELL_PAGE_EMAIL

I do not see that in  your list what does this mean please ? thank you again for your help  i can do a screen shot if needed for opening to look at it if needed..

thank you again for helping

Established 'Hoo

Dear Tidus

Thanks again for helping me with my problem

it says on the address bar exactly this

https://mail.yahoo.com/?reason=IMAP_UPSELL_PAGE_EMAIL

I do not see that in your list what does this mean please ? thank you again for your help i can do a screen shot if needed for opening to look at it if needed..

thank you again for helping

Established 'Hoo

Hello Scooter;

I looked at the page url you sent i joined up like that but used

step 3. ( using email address ) and the above is what I have ended up with so ..

i have just replied to Tidus as i don't sseem to have any of the 'normal' suggested ones  I have no idea then why that is like  it is ..

so if i rejoing again i will get the same thing i think as i did join up that way but used point 3 rather than phone ( as i was saying i never ever put my mobile number on internet..)

So does this mean this email address is now useless and should be deleted as it is never going to be normal or can i swap this to one of the accounts Tidus is mentioning? or should i just delete it and start over and re do it   fear though same thing will happen as i did the same steps as the url at the url same looking page except i did use step 3 not the number in that url .

thank you for helping also i am very still confused .

Established 'Hoo

Oh p. s please Tidus

how do i change it to get to a 'basic classic' type account from this looking url ..

please let me know if you need screenshot i will take one and find a place to upload it if you need it .

thanks again

Mail All-star

Ok Sasha,no need for screenshot as this forum might not allow it.I think I now understand that the type of account you have based on the link you supplied is not one of the ones I supplied so therefore this verifies what Scootermobile said. I think you need to sign up for yahoo account but not use your own address,it will ask for mobile number.Once account is made add an alternate email address for recovery then remove the mobile number. This might mean deleting the other account,if there are important messages to keep then forward them over to the new account.I hope this helps