cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

How do I change MY name?

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

How do I change MY name?

I have edited my profile but people still a address my e-mails with my maiden name, how do I get it changed to my married name?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-Star

Re: How do I change MY name?

When people create new emails to send to you the name comes from their address book or contact cards which can contain the wrong name.

Automatic Completion of Addresses and Avatar in Email

Yahoo maintains 2 lists of contacts that are used for automatic completion.

1. There is your contact or address book which you create. You can quickly see them by clicking TO when composing an email. You can also go to http://contacts.yahoo.com. Nothing is automatically added to them unless you check the option in writing email settings. You can click TO to see the address book.
  2. There are contact cards which Yahoo creates. Details are below.

The Contact Card name list appears when you type a few letters into the TO box. They can be deleted by clicking the X that appears. This does not work in Beta. Go back to Classic. Deleting has no effect on your address book.

Contact Card details are shown when hovering over a FROM or TO name in sent or received email. It may also be shown in other areas of the display. You can also just enter the complete address in the TO field while composing and then hover over the name.

The data is extracted from various sources such as your address book and social media. This includes any photo that may be associated with an email. If the information is incorrect you can click the dots in the lower left of the contact card and pick the option to change it. It only saves them for yourself and may ask if you want to add to your address book. I know of no way to directly update the photo. To remove it you must delete the card as indicate above. Note that updating does not work in Beta. Go back to Classic.

If someone else displays the wrong information then it indicates that their contact cards and/or address book contain bad information. They can also click the dots to update it for themselves. There is no universal way for you to correct what is displayed elsewhere.

Feel free to Reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my replies are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Administratin' 'Hoo

Here is how to change your mail sending name:

1. Sign in to Yahoo Mail
  2. Click the Settings menu icon Image of the Settings icon. | More Settings.
  3. Click Mailboxes.
  4. Select the account you want to edit.
  5. Click under 'Your name' to delete or edit your sending name.
  6. Click Save.
If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!

I've done this step several times, several years. Messages are still being received under the old name. However, my name under settings shows as new name.

Mail Pro All-Star

When people create new emails to send to you the name comes from their address book or contact cards which can contain the wrong name.

Automatic Completion of Addresses and Avatar in Email

Yahoo maintains 2 lists of contacts that are used for automatic completion.

1. There is your contact or address book which you create. You can quickly see them by clicking TO when composing an email. You can also go to http://contacts.yahoo.com. Nothing is automatically added to them unless you check the option in writing email settings. You can click TO to see the address book.
  2. There are contact cards which Yahoo creates. Details are below.

The Contact Card name list appears when you type a few letters into the TO box. They can be deleted by clicking the X that appears. This does not work in Beta. Go back to Classic. Deleting has no effect on your address book.

Contact Card details are shown when hovering over a FROM or TO name in sent or received email. It may also be shown in other areas of the display. You can also just enter the complete address in the TO field while composing and then hover over the name.

The data is extracted from various sources such as your address book and social media. This includes any photo that may be associated with an email. If the information is incorrect you can click the dots in the lower left of the contact card and pick the option to change it. It only saves them for yourself and may ask if you want to add to your address book. I know of no way to directly update the photo. To remove it you must delete the card as indicate above. Note that updating does not work in Beta. Go back to Classic.

If someone else displays the wrong information then it indicates that their contact cards and/or address book contain bad information. They can also click the dots to update it for themselves. There is no universal way for you to correct what is displayed elsewhere.

Feel free to Reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my replies are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.

Thanks @Barkley_Hound However I sent to 3 different new email accounts that do not have me as a contact and my old name still appears. Frustrating.
New 'Hoo

From Kevin Johnson to Derick Porter
And also my email address **Username Protected**@yahoo.com I️ won’t to change the f to Number 4