cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Does Yahoo Delete Old E-mail?

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Does Yahoo Delete Old E-mail?

Long an avid user of Outlook, I've recently reacquainted myself with Yahoo's webmail.  I keep an instance of Yahoo webmail open on my office computer all day long.  By accessing my personal e-mail via web browser instead of an app-based mail utility, I'll prevent company IT folks from reading my personal e-mail if this computer and I are ever "parted", as the HR folks say.

But I notice that any old Yahoo webmail disappears after about 30 days.  Is this because Yahoo is trying to save server disk space?  Or do I have an instance of app-based Outlook running at home that is sweeping my old e-mails into the recycle bin?

Absent an instance of Outlook clearing out old e-mail, does Yahoo webmail regulate my access to old e-mail?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: Does Yahoo Delete Old E-mail?

@jimolson52

Odds are it's that instance of Outlook causing the problem. Syncing issues between Yahoo and another Mail app can cause unsynced issues to get moved to the Trash by the mail client. Yahoo only auto-deletes emails in the Spam and Trash folders periodically. Anything else will remain there unless acted upon by you or another app. I would remove/re-add the Yahoo account to Outlook or check your settings to see if it's set to keep emails on the server for a set amount of days (if using a POP connection).

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
5 REPLIES
Official 'Hoo Staff

@jimolson52

Odds are it's that instance of Outlook causing the problem. Syncing issues between Yahoo and another Mail app can cause unsynced issues to get moved to the Trash by the mail client. Yahoo only auto-deletes emails in the Spam and Trash folders periodically. Anything else will remain there unless acted upon by you or another app. I would remove/re-add the Yahoo account to Outlook or check your settings to see if it's set to keep emails on the server for a set amount of days (if using a POP connection).

'Hoo Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply.  You've just cured the worst of my objections to using webmail exclusively.

Without a client sweeping stale e-mail into the trash, is there a gigabyte cap on the amount of old e-mail that Yahoo is willing to manage for free?  What is that limit and how do I monitor it? 

Official 'Hoo Staff

@jimolson52

You technically have a terabyte of storage, which I haven't seen anyone come close to hitting yet. As long as you keep email out of the Spam and Trash folders, we'll keep it where it is until you say so.

'Hoo Recruit

Scooter, you apparently have some affiliation with Yahoo.  Thanks for responding.

I am a former SBC broadband customer from the 2000s, apparent from my @SBCGLOBAL.net e-mail address.  I am no longer an AT&T customer, having moved long ago to an AT&T competitor who offered >2 megabit/sec service.  (My DSL loop length is 11k feet).

At this point do I have any linkage to AT&T for my e-mail?  Is my e-mail relationship now entirely with Verizon/Yahoo?  Is Verizon/Yahoo content to be compensated for these e-mail services solely by the ads displayed in the border of my webmail?

Since leaving AT&T I keep looking over my shoulder for someone to tell me that I'm losing my **Username Protected**@sbcglobal.net e-mail account.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@jimolson52

Been working for Yahoo for about 5.5 years now, so I guess I'm affiliated with them. Smiley Happy

In regards to the AT&T/SBC link, it's like this: Unless you call and have them manually unmerge the account, they still technically own it and handle all login issues. However, we manage the email and can troubleshoot any problems there. So, if you can't log into the account, call AT&T. If your email isn't working, we can fill that gap.