cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

AUTO-GENERATED CONTACT CARD VISIBLE ONLY TO YOU

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

AUTO-GENERATED CONTACT CARD VISIBLE ONLY TO YOU

Ok so I sent an email to myself to create a BCC group. That's when I noticed the contact card. IT HAS MY WORKS MOBILE NUMBER. Completely freaking out. If this is auto-generated, how on earth did it get my works number when I've never had Yahoo App on my work phone nor ever used that number as a back-up for account key? I've sent emails back and forth from this (my personal account) to works account on occasion via desktop computer (never the phone), but HOW DOES THIS CARD HAVE MY WORK NUMBER? I've been all round help, community, settings, everywhere for the last hour and cannot for the life of me work out how to edit my own "auto-generated" contact card. It has really unsettled me.. has my employer somehow assigned this number to my personal account? Please help. Thank you. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: AUTO-GENERATED CONTACT CARD VISIBLE ONLY TO YOU

You can only delete the one that you see. It is up to others to delete theirs.

Automatic Completion of Addresses and Avatar in Email

Yahoo maintains 2 lists of contacts that are used for automatic completion.

1. There is your contact or address book which you create. You can quickly see them by clicking TO when composing an email. You can also go to http://contacts.yahoo.com. Nothing is automatically added to them unless you check the option in writing email settings. You can click TO to see the address book.
  2. There are contact cards which Yahoo creates. Details are below.

The Contact Card name list appears when you type a few letters into the TO box. They can be deleted by clicking the X that appears. This does not work in Beta. Go back to Classic. Deleting has no effect on your address book.

Contact Card details are shown when hovering over a FROM or TO name in sent or received email. It may also be shown in other areas of the display. You can also just enter the complete address in the TO field while composing and then hover over the name.

The data is extracted from various sources such as your address book and social media. This includes any photo that may be associated with an email. If the information is incorrect you can click the dots in the lower left of the contact card and pick the option to change it. It only saves them for yourself and may ask if you want to add to your address book. I know of no way to directly update the photo. To remove it you must delete the card as indicate above. Note that updating does not work in Beta. Go back to Classic.

If someone else displays the wrong information then it indicates that their contact cards and/or address book contain bad information. They can also click the dots to update it for themselves. There is no universal way for you to correct what is displayed elsewhere.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
Mail Pro All-star

@doc210 wrote:

I also just realized my phone number shows up on this "auto generated contact card" (I randomly waved the mouse over my email address and it popped up).  After reading the comments here the only way possible is from me logging on to yahoo from my phone?  In either case, I don't want my phone number associated or listed with this account as it is not listed on any other media account I have.  How can I immediately delete my phone number from these auto generated cards permanently?

@doc210

I have been told that the phone number only appears on your set of cards. You have no way to delete what others may have. Instructions for deleting are in my previous post.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
Mail Pro All-star

@nj_dreamhouse wrote:
How are these contact cards created again? I don't recall doing mines.

Contact cards are created automatically. Everyone has their own set. The info comes from your own contacts, any attached social sites (it matches email address), and incoming and outgoing mail. You have some control over your own set. See one of my prior posts. You can not change what others already have.

14 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

@DZ69

In addition to your address book a contact card can get info from "attached" social sites. There is an option in the mail settings to attach or detach them. Since everyone has their own set of cards anyone who has linked to a site like Facebook where you may have an account can extract info there. Make sure the phone number is not on any.

'Hoo Recruit

Hi Barkley_Hound, 

Thank you for replying. Yes it had occurred to me that it may be to do with linked accounts but there aren't any and I double checked this earlier. 

However, I inadvertently *may* have discovered why this is. I use Account Key. As I don't have my phone at the moment, it ran me through a list of email addresses where they could send the account code to. One of them was my work email address. I tried to change this in "manage account key" but the work email address there is not listed to delete it.. so I must have managed to delete it at some time or another. Regardless, Yahoo has chosen to ignore this because it still offers it as an option when running through possible alternate email addresses... with apparently now no means to delete it. I believe my work phone number is linked with my work email address so this is the only reason I can think of that it would insert that number into my contact card. 

Thanks for the brainwave! If you can think of anyway that I can get "manage account key" to stop offering this alternate email or at least return the option to remove it entirely, please could you let me know?

Many thanks again 

DZ

Tags (1)
'Hoo Recruit

@barkley_hound

New 'Hoo

Hello, I am in the same boat here with phone number on auto generated card on yahoo account, even my linked accounts plus all email, NEVER have any phone numbers on them, or home or my work number or my name on them, yet they got my number, how? Illegal tracking via ip addresses??? I never ever link things like media trash sites to emails that I use, plus again, never supply my number, yet on this auto generated card, (apparently visible only to me), if on this card then is 100% in their data base for hackers. I work mainly with pc's, helping others troubleshoot, again use their number, NEVER my number. SO HOW DID THEY GET MY NUMBER THEN LINKED TO THIS ACCOUNT????

Official 'Hoo Staff

@Bloodnut

Looking at the mailbox, I don't see a phone number listed on your contact card. However, it does look like you accessed this account via mobile at one point. Perhaps that's where the number was pulled from that you're seeing?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
'Hoo Recruit

I'm so **bleep** at yahoo.  my phone number has been showing up for who knows how long?  And I never wanted many of the people I was emailing to have my phone number.   Can somebody tell me how to stop it!?   I will delete my yahoo accounts ASAP but until I can get things switched I need to stop this from showing up.   **bleep** you yahoo.

'Hoo Recruit

okay I finally figured out the number isn't showing to other accounts.  Still a stupid move on yahoo to be showing our phone numbers ... even to us.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would have my  phone number on their ... for me to see?   Surely it must be for the others because guess what?   I already know my phone number!.   Bunch of eggheads!   I spent an entire night trying  to figure out how to deal with this BS. 

Official 'Hoo Staff

@nothappywithyah

Would you like us to remove the phone number off of the contact card for you? It's usually pulled from the account itself (like if you use a phone number for account recovery) or from a synced account or device.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
New 'Hoo

Hi there I have one of these cards in my account for my own email address that shows someone else name. It is very annoying and it's showing to other people too. How can I delete it for good? Thanks