cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
We have planned maintenance Sep 28, Midnight to 4 am PT. We don't anticipate any downtime.

Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Outlook 2016 crashes Synchronizing Yahoo Inbox

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

Outlook 2016 crashes Synchronizing Yahoo Inbox

Over the past week, all Yahoo emails on my apple devices disappeared.  This seems to have been a wide-spread issue, that Yahoo engineers have now fixed.

However, for my Yahoo IMAP email account that is linked in my Windows 10 Outlook 2016 email client, i have only 33,208 emails in my Inbox of the 40,000+ that exist.  And, after about 5 minutes of Outlook "Synchroniing 'Inbox'", Outlook freezes and is 100% non-responsive.

Please help!!  I have to presume this issue is related to whatever Yahoo IMAP servers caused the aforementioned iPhone/iPad IMAP issues...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established 'Hoo

Re: Outlook 2016 crashes Synchronizing Yahoo Inbox

I did about 5 hours of research last night and found the following instructions that seem to be working! (basic summary: I didnt uninstall/reinstall my Yahoo mail account in Outlook, but did Unsubscribe most all of the folders and then Subscribed them, and now all folders appear to be syncing well!) -Brian

How-to fix slow Outlook IMAP Subscribed Folders Synchronization

Fix Outlook sticking at Subscribed Folders Synchronization when I send & receive.

1. Select your Inbox
    /forums.yahoo.net/t5/Welcome-to-the-Community/Can-I-include-a-link-in-a-question-or-a-reply/m-p/18#U18"> See the community guidelines for more information.*border="0" alt="Outlook-Example-Inbox" width="305" height="288" />
  2. From the menu click Folder > IMAP Folders
    /forums.yahoo.net/t5/Welcome-to-the-Community/Can-I-include-a-link-in-a-question-or-a-reply/m-p/18#U18"> See the community guidelines for more information.*border="0" alt="Outlook-IMAP-Folders-button" width="685" height="221" />
  3. Click Query
  4. Select all your IMAP folders
  5. Click Unsubscribe. Outlook may warn you some folders are ‘special’. Click OK if this warning appears
  6. Click OK
  7. Close and re-open Outlook.
  8. Select your Inbox
  9. From the menu click Folder > IMAP Folders
  10. Click Query
  11. Select all your IMAP folders
  12. Click Subscribe
  13. Uncheck When displaying heirachy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders.
  14. Click OK

Outlook will now synchronize your folders, the time this takes depends on the size and number of emails stored in each of your IMAP folders.

12 REPLIES
Official 'Hoo Staff

@BrianL2

It could be Outlook-related. Any luck removing/re-adding the account? Your mailbox is about 20GB, so it might be timing out when trying to sync all the messages.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Established 'Hoo

I did about 5 hours of research last night and found the following instructions that seem to be working! (basic summary: I didnt uninstall/reinstall my Yahoo mail account in Outlook, but did Unsubscribe most all of the folders and then Subscribed them, and now all folders appear to be syncing well!) -Brian

How-to fix slow Outlook IMAP Subscribed Folders Synchronization

Fix Outlook sticking at Subscribed Folders Synchronization when I send & receive.

1. Select your Inbox
    /forums.yahoo.net/t5/Welcome-to-the-Community/Can-I-include-a-link-in-a-question-or-a-reply/m-p/18#U18"> See the community guidelines for more information.*border="0" alt="Outlook-Example-Inbox" width="305" height="288" />
  2. From the menu click Folder > IMAP Folders
    /forums.yahoo.net/t5/Welcome-to-the-Community/Can-I-include-a-link-in-a-question-or-a-reply/m-p/18#U18"> See the community guidelines for more information.*border="0" alt="Outlook-IMAP-Folders-button" width="685" height="221" />
  3. Click Query
  4. Select all your IMAP folders
  5. Click Unsubscribe. Outlook may warn you some folders are ‘special’. Click OK if this warning appears
  6. Click OK
  7. Close and re-open Outlook.
  8. Select your Inbox
  9. From the menu click Folder > IMAP Folders
  10. Click Query
  11. Select all your IMAP folders
  12. Click Subscribe
  13. Uncheck When displaying heirachy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders.
  14. Click OK

Outlook will now synchronize your folders, the time this takes depends on the size and number of emails stored in each of your IMAP folders.

Established 'Hoo

I wrote too soon!  After all of the work in the instructions below, i had to delete my Yahoo Mail account from Outlook and start with a fresh install.  Everything has been going okay until about 1 hour ago--most all of the Synchronized folders show the same number of items in my local Outlook copy as they do via the Yahoo Mail web interface.  HOWEVER, the Inbox is stuck around 35,000 emails of the 41,000 and now Outlook is "(Not Responding)" again!

Please help--it seems like an interface issue with IMAP between Yahoo and my local Outlook client...

Official 'Hoo Staff

@BrianL2

Does Yahoo sync with any other IMAP mail clients like Thunderbird? If it works there, it might be an issue from within Outlook.

Established 'Hoo

What i have noticed watching the Resource Monitor in Windows 10 closely, is that there is moderately high (ie, range between 8Mb/s and 36Mb/s) Receive traffic from Yahoo's IMAP server and my Outlook client for about 2-3 minutes where i get a batch of emails...and, then it goes completely silent and/or hangs outlook after about 5 minutes of silence.  Sometimes, i can restart outlook and get another burst....so this seems to point to the Yahoo servers since my other email accounts that I sync have zero issues.

Is there any way you can check on the servers that specifically host my email account to see if they are exhibiting issues?

I am unfamiliar with Thunderbird, but will download a copy and get it started...

Official 'Hoo Staff

@BrianL2

There aren't any known issues with those servers as far as I'm aware. Give Thunderbird (or any other IMAP client) a go and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then there may be an issue on our end.

Established 'Hoo

@Scootermobile

I have downloaded Thunderbird and connected it with a generated key to my Yahoo IMAP account....it started to download emails (but not the full folder tree...yet?) but now i'm seeing constant errors in the Activity Manager window saying "The current operation in 'Inbox' did not succeed.  The mail server for account <<addr>> responded: [UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages.  This is happening wit each message starting around 3,840 of the 41,544 emails in the Inbox. (I took a screenshot but doesnt appear i can post here).

Please help!

Official 'Hoo Staff

@BrianL2

You're using an app password, correct? You'll need this since you have Yahoo Account Key enabled.

Established 'Hoo

@Scootermobile

Correct; i have been using app passwords for all of my devices for at least a year or more...