cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Why is Yahoo Mail autofill ALL SCREWED UP??

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributin' 'Hoo

Why is Yahoo Mail autofill ALL SCREWED UP??

Why does Yahoo email try combining several of my personal email contacts into one contact then offer me all these screwy autofill suggestions??  

For example, let's say I have these three email addresses that I use for personal, work and business, such as these below:

"steve at yawhoo com" (business)

"s.stevens at general electric com" (work)

"1966GTO at comcast net" (personal email)

What stupid Yahoo is doing with the autofill function is trying to combine all these emails into one contact.  End result is I keep getting all these screwy (INCORRECT) suggestions.

Examples:  Yahoo suggests "1966GTO at general electric" ... or "steve at comcast" ... 

Worse, when click the "X" so that the suggestion "removed permanently", I still see these very same incorrect (SCREWY) suggestions over and over again.  

WHAT??  Well then, apparently it's not removed permanently, is it?   

The problem is so bad that now I can't even use autofill for my OWN YAHOO EMAIL ADDRESS.  How stupid is that??  If that's not enough, I raised this issue 6 months ago on this forum but nobody has addressed it.  Instead, stupid Yahoo closed the thread.  Real smart.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Why is Yahoo Mail autofill ALL SCREWED UP??

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2164.html

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
22 REPLIES
Contributin' 'Hoo

Same stupid problem still happens ... I type in a name in the Name field on a Yahoo email, then Yahoo offers me illegitimate email addresses that are based on mixing up my contacts.   

Worse, even though I click "remove" and Yahoo tells me the "suggestion has been removed permanently", for at least NINE MONTHS I keep getting the same STUPID email suggestions.

All the replies from Yahoo proponents just show they don't get what's going on.  I've explained it adnauseum using details and examples.  I've also shared that the same problem happens no matter the browser, history and what not.  To me it's clearly obvious it has nothing to do with those things but instead how Yahoo is reading your contacts and making these stupid illegitmate suggestions over and over.

Contributin' 'Hoo

Same problem still happens ... STILL HAPPENS ... SAME PROBLEM ... STUPID YAHOO

Mail Pro All-star

Perhaps you need to do some editing of your contacts in the address book to get them a bit more exclusive to that "steve" wont lead to steve, steven, and any and all variations of "steve"

Try this:

Edit or delete contact suggestions in Yahoo Mail | Yahoo Help - SLN22244

Edit or delete contact suggestions in Yahoo Mail

Auto-Suggest saves you time and hassle by filling in email addresses for you. Enter part of someone's name or email in the address fields and get a list of relevant contacts and suggestions to include, based on how often you interact. You can rename or remove the suggestions as needed.

Edit a contact's name
  1. Click Compose.
  2. Fill in the "To" field with a completed address.
  3. Mouse over the contact's name to show the contact card.
  4. Mouse over the More icon Suggested contacts | select Edit card details.
  5. Enter your changes, then click Save.
Remove contacts from Auto-Suggest
  1. Click Compose.
  2. Begin entering an email address or contact in the "To" field.
  3. When the unwanted contact appears, mouse over it and click X.
If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
Contributin' 'Hoo

Thank you for the response, but NONE of that works.  

First, to be sure, I did heed your suggestion and go into my contact book to look over the different entries I have for my different email addresses.  Again, these are for my own email accounts, not for friends, family, etc. 

I checked the contact file for my Yahoo email address and it is accurate.  Let's just say this email address is Steve at Yahoo dot com.  Likewise, I checked contact file for my Comcast email address and it is accurate as well.  Let's say this email is 1969GTO at Comcast dot net. 

After I checked these contacts, I clicked to compose a new email.  Then I typed in "Steve" in the email address bar.  At this point, Yahoo should auto-fill with email addresses that start with "Steve", no?? 

Well, once again, that doesn't happen.  Instead, Yahoo offers an entry that says 1969GTO with "Steve at Yahoo dot com" in parenthesis.  

In other words, as I've said a million times but STUPID YAHOO doesn't seem to understand, the autofill function is trying to COMBINE the two email addresses into one contact.  

Hence, if I hit "enter" when Yahoo offers me this stupid suggestion, from that point forward Yahoo will title my emails as "1969GTO" and associate that name with my Steve at Yahoo dot com email address ... rather than titling it as "Steve" as is appropriate.  

Even more frustrating, as I've also said a million times, when I click "remove this suggestion permanently" when I see this the auto-fill function offering this improper email name, it doesn't work.  Instead, stupid Yahoo keeps offering the suggestion anyways.  

This same problem has been going on for almost a year now.  Perhaps now you can see why I am calling Yahoo stupid.  

Contributin' 'Hoo

Today I tried sending a message to my Yahoo email address from my mobile phone using the Yahoo email app.  Guess what happened??  

Once again STUPID Yahoo and it's dumb autofill feature associated my Comcast and Yahoo emails together in one email-address suggestion.  

In other words, STUPID Yahoo still doesn't understand that my Comcast email and Yahoo emails are distinctly DIFFERENT emails that should not be intermixed.  

Worse, STUPID Yahoo keeps mixing these emails together and offering the same autofill suggestion, even thought I've clicked "remove suggestion permamently" probably 25 times now.  

How STUPID is that??  

Mail Pro All-star

Here is how to associate only 1 address with the suggestion.

Start composing an email.

Start typing the name in the TO box and enter it.

Hover over the full address in the TO box and the contact card will appear.

Hover over the three dots in the lower left and select edit.

Select the address you want to use in the address field.

If you want multiple choices you must have multiple names or just click on TO and select from the address book.

Note that using the X to delete the name deletes the contact card. You must edit the address book or send or receive with the address for it to reappear and that can take up to a day.

Feel free to Reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my replies are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
Contributin' 'Hoo

Barkely Hound - thank you for the information, but unfortunately this did not work.   

First, I followed your suggestion by composing an email.  Then I entered "Steve"in the "TO" box for my Yahoo email address (Steve at Yahoo dot com).  As you would know it, STUPID YAHOO tries combining my Comcast email (1969GTO at Comcast dot net) and the Yahoo email once again by suggesting the name 1969GTO for the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email address.  In other words, Yahoo is trying to combine these two email addresses by using the name of one with the email address of another.   

If I select that name, then indeed I can hover over the three dots in the lower left.  However, there is no option to "select edit.".  Instead, there are two options which are both greyed out (ie I cannot select them), including "Copy Email Address" and "Copy All Details".  Those are the only options available and again neither are selectable.  

To be sure, I went to my Contacts/Address book.  Once there, I went into the 1969GTO contact.   Again, this email contact is mine and mainly reserved for personal stuff and fun.  There, I double checked to be sure the email address is correct.  Indeed it is - "1969GTO at Comcast dot net".  From there, I changed the name briefly, then changed back, then saved changes in the account (without making changes, you can't re-save the contact).  That way, I could be sure the contact was refreshed and up to date.   

Likewise, I went into the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email contact.  I use this email for most of my business related stuff.  I checked all the details in the contact to ensure they were correct (they were).  That included my mobile and home phone numbers.  Again, I changed a minor detail, then switched back so I could save changes in the account.  

Afterwards, I closed the contacts book and switched to email.  

Then I tried opening a new email.  I typed in "Steve" hoping Yahoo would offer a suggestion of Steve using the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email address.  Instead, STUPID YAHOO offered the same old suggestion ... 1969GTO for the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email address.  In other words, STUPID YAHOO is still trying to combine these two email addresses by using the heading name from one contact and associating it with the actual email address of another contact.  

The second half of this problem is even more amazingly stupid.  It's that even though I click the "X" after this stupid INCORRECT suggestion is "removed permanently", STUPID YAHOO still keeps offering me the same stupid incorrect suggestion over and over.  

The same stupid problems have been going on for what, a year now?  

Now people can hopefully understand why I call YAHOO STUPID.  

Contributin' 'Hoo

Barkely Hound - thank you for the information, but unfortunately this did not work.   

First, I followed your suggestion by composing an email.  Then I entered "Steve"in the "TO" box for my Yahoo email address (Steve at Yahoo dot com).  As you would know it, STUPID YAHOO tries combining my Comcast email (1969GTO at Comcast dot net) and the Yahoo email once again by suggesting the name 1969GTO for the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email address.  In other words, Yahoo is trying to combine these two email addresses by using the name of one with the email address of another.   

If I select that name, then indeed I can hover over the three dots in the lower left.  However, there is no option to "select edit.".  Instead, there are two options which are both greyed out (ie I cannot select them), including "Copy Email Address" and "Copy All Details".  Those are the only options available and again neither are selectable.  

To be sure, I went to my Contacts/Address book.  Once there, I went into the 1969GTO contact.   Again, this email contact is mine and mainly reserved for personal stuff and fun.  There, I double checked to be sure the email address is correct.  Indeed it is - "1969GTO at Comcast dot net".  From there, I changed the name briefly, then changed back, then saved changes in the account (without making changes, you can't re-save the contact).  That way, I could be sure the contact was refreshed and up to date.   

Likewise, I went into the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email contact.  I use this email for most of my business related stuff.  I checked all the details in the contact to ensure they were correct (they were).  That included my mobile and home phone numbers.  Again, I changed a minor detail, then switched back so I could save changes in the account.  

Afterwards, I closed the contacts book and switched to email.  

Then I tried opening a new email.  I typed in "Steve" hoping Yahoo would offer a suggestion of Steve using the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email address.  Instead, STUPID YAHOO offered the same old suggestion ... 1969GTO for the "Steve at Yahoo dot com" email address.  In other words, STUPID YAHOO is still trying to combine these two email addresses by using the heading name from one contact and associating it with the actual email address of another contact.  

The second half of this problem is even more amazingly stupid.  It's that even though I click the "X" after this stupid INCORRECT suggestion is "removed permanently", STUPID YAHOO still keeps offering me the same stupid incorrect suggestion over and over.  

The same stupid problems have been going on for what, a year now?  

Now people can hopefully understand why I call YAHOO STUPID.  

New 'Hoo

Hi: I agree w/you 110% !   we have an Apple & Galaxy phone. The autofill on PC pulls up different contacts than phone Neither suggests the correct contacts: anything/everything that has EVER come through emails comes as a suggestion, even though I've deleted using the "x", going through contacts (of which most autofill suggestions aren't even listed there). I cannot, for the life of me, be able to call up 2 or more emails for the same person, say work/home email address; I get one or nothing.  What is a suggestion on the PC isn't the same on the phone at all. Search feature doesn't work either. I've found no way to group, delete, organize, edit, notta that sticks.  Oh, and the best? I contacted Yahoo since my spam folder (which has over 500 emails from Russia, $$ from dead relatives in Zimbobway, ***bleep*** women that somehow know my husband? right down the road) wasn't being emptied after a week, as the setting is set at. Well, I'm not insane: seems the engineers decided that "that feature should be disconnected" so even though it shows for settings? isn't working... my guess is that many of these issues are similar: the options are on site, but not available. Wouldn't you think that particular one would be a no-brainer??