cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

LOCKED OUT OF ACCOUNT

New 'Hoo

LOCKED OUT OF ACCOUNT

Hi, I have forgot my password for my account, however when I attempt to sign in or rest my password an email is appearingg o ********Username Protected**@rocketmail.com to use as a means of verification.
I don't know this email address it. The first and last letters are the same as my own address.
Any ideas. ?

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

Re: LOCKED OUT OF ACCOUNT

Greetings @Rtlark

When was the last time you signed into this account from the Yahoo website?  Yahoo deactivates accounts that haven't been signed into at least once in the last 12 months.  Once the account has been deactivated it's unlikely you can recover it.  The following two articles can provide more information

Reasons Yahoo deactivates or deletes an account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3057.html?impressions=true

Can I reuse my deactivated Yahoo ID? - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN3060.html?impressions=true

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
New 'Hoo

Please i need help to recover my account. I lost the cellphone number  i putted in. can i still use the security question i provided to recover it. I badly need to open my old email. Please help. Thank you

Highlighted
Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @Herrah

When you try the Sign-in helper and select the option "I don't have access to this phone" are you given the option to answer your security question?  If so what happens when you enter to correct answer?

Yahoo moved away for using security questions in 2014 and no longer uses them as the primary means to recover your account.  The automated account recovery system chooses the best recovery method available for your account.  If you are given the option to answer then that would mean the system found no other account recovery options registered for this account.  The answers you enter must match EXACTLY to what is registered to this account.  You will know the answer is correct when you see the word "Correct" in green at the end of your question.  

Yahoo moved to using the email address and phone number entered into the Account Security page as the primary means to verify you are the rightful owner of this account.  Yahoo sent an email to all account holders in 2016 informing them of this change and included instructions on how to check if you still had security questions attached to your account and how to delete them.  For those that had never set up a recovery email address or recovery phone number they provided instructions on how to add this information to your Account security page.  For those that already had this information set up they ask that you verify that you could receive the account key code messages using the information listed as it is the ONLY way you will be able to recover your account.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Mail Pro All-star

Hello @Herrah

You get an "Account Locked" message

To protect your account, it may be temporarily locked after too many unsuccessful attempts to sign in. It will unlock automatically after 12 hours, but you can always regain access immediately using the Sign-in Helper.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".